16-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi,
Wow; 1986 with only 20K on the clock; has it ever been ridden in anger because over this number of years such mileage would have been clocked up just wheeling it in and out of the garage. (Sorry Andy).
I would go right through the bike and yes certainly pull the carbs off and give them a good clean both inside and out; remove the jets and check these are the slides still operating smoothly; have a good look at the carb diaphragms for pinholes; take a lot of care to really check the carbs over and don't forget Jamie's favourites the chokes.
Check all electrical connections for corrosion especially those associated with ignition; are plug leads and caps in good condition.
Once everything is checked Andy I would take it out for a good blast along a nice winding road putting a few miles on the clock; I also wonder what the combustion chambers are like and perhaps adding some "Redex" if still available into the tank to clear any carbon out.
Sitting here it is so easy thinking of everything that could be at fault but it will be totally different for you Andy actually having the bike.
Bikes are like cars insomuch they hate short journeys; when I traded my first R75/5 into Allen Jeffrey's his son Tony told me my bike was the loosest he had ever ridden when he took it for a spin. I used to do a return journey Wakefield to Walthamstow in a morning; there are some sharp bends down the M1 with the needle off the clock. Of course these days speeding is severely frowned upon by the men in blue but my bikes never suffered from a flat battery or poor running.
What mileage do you do on the bike in a year Andy because regular use might help a great deal. As I said before it's a great bike and if the climate wasn't so bad I could enjoy biking. I loved both my BMW's and was proud to own them.
Can you change gear quietly? I never mastered it as I always ended up with a solid clunk. Did you master the gear change David?
Kind regards, Col.
Wow; 1986 with only 20K on the clock; has it ever been ridden in anger because over this number of years such mileage would have been clocked up just wheeling it in and out of the garage. (Sorry Andy).
I would go right through the bike and yes certainly pull the carbs off and give them a good clean both inside and out; remove the jets and check these are the slides still operating smoothly; have a good look at the carb diaphragms for pinholes; take a lot of care to really check the carbs over and don't forget Jamie's favourites the chokes.
Check all electrical connections for corrosion especially those associated with ignition; are plug leads and caps in good condition.
Once everything is checked Andy I would take it out for a good blast along a nice winding road putting a few miles on the clock; I also wonder what the combustion chambers are like and perhaps adding some "Redex" if still available into the tank to clear any carbon out.
Sitting here it is so easy thinking of everything that could be at fault but it will be totally different for you Andy actually having the bike.
Bikes are like cars insomuch they hate short journeys; when I traded my first R75/5 into Allen Jeffrey's his son Tony told me my bike was the loosest he had ever ridden when he took it for a spin. I used to do a return journey Wakefield to Walthamstow in a morning; there are some sharp bends down the M1 with the needle off the clock. Of course these days speeding is severely frowned upon by the men in blue but my bikes never suffered from a flat battery or poor running.
What mileage do you do on the bike in a year Andy because regular use might help a great deal. As I said before it's a great bike and if the climate wasn't so bad I could enjoy biking. I loved both my BMW's and was proud to own them.
Can you change gear quietly? I never mastered it as I always ended up with a solid clunk. Did you master the gear change David?
Kind regards, Col.







