20-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I used Letraset too - it's such a simple dial I thought it would take less time and be more like the original than a dial scan.
IMHO, these receivers were a comical farce - the lack of a glass dial was presumably meant to indicate a scarcity of resources, but glass is the most plentiful material available, and a 3" square would have added next to nothing to the cost. On the other hand, you only have to feel the weight of the set and look at the mains transformer to see that it was grossly overspecified, and the same can be said of the IFTs and even the speaker. I suppose that it depends on what brief the designers were given, but I dare say that if economy of materials and labour were a priority, most of us on this forum could come up with something more attractive, using less labour and materials. The Westector was just a bit of nonsense - it saved nothing as there were plenty of double diode triodes/pentodes around that could have been used as output/detector/AGC.
The only aspect of the set which I feel was a success, was that it conveyed a dismal, sombre, austere picture as befitted the belt-tightening message. Basically, a propaganda stunt. To earn the name 'Wartime Civilian Receiver' it ought to have come on stream in 1940 - not 1944 when the war was drawing to a close. (Perhaps it took a committee four years to come up with a design?). I wonder how many were made - they seem to be quite commonplace and seem not to command high prices. Every home should have one, and at the rate things are going with the Euro, soon will have, or something similar!
IMHO, these receivers were a comical farce - the lack of a glass dial was presumably meant to indicate a scarcity of resources, but glass is the most plentiful material available, and a 3" square would have added next to nothing to the cost. On the other hand, you only have to feel the weight of the set and look at the mains transformer to see that it was grossly overspecified, and the same can be said of the IFTs and even the speaker. I suppose that it depends on what brief the designers were given, but I dare say that if economy of materials and labour were a priority, most of us on this forum could come up with something more attractive, using less labour and materials. The Westector was just a bit of nonsense - it saved nothing as there were plenty of double diode triodes/pentodes around that could have been used as output/detector/AGC.
The only aspect of the set which I feel was a success, was that it conveyed a dismal, sombre, austere picture as befitted the belt-tightening message. Basically, a propaganda stunt. To earn the name 'Wartime Civilian Receiver' it ought to have come on stream in 1940 - not 1944 when the war was drawing to a close. (Perhaps it took a committee four years to come up with a design?). I wonder how many were made - they seem to be quite commonplace and seem not to command high prices. Every home should have one, and at the rate things are going with the Euro, soon will have, or something similar!
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







