Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: How valuable will it be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
There is a Murphy A40C radio for sale on the usual auction site. The auction ends after 6pm tomorrow.

Its currently at £1470.

How much higher will it go? As much as I would like one, this is way beyond me.
At least it should go to a good home at that price.
Have I missed something? Why is this price that high?
I understand that stylish round radios have a certain appeal (even if not really to me) but what's the deal for this model?
At a time when lovely, restored pre-war TVs are plunging in value, this seems to buck the trend.
A lovely piece of kit but that price!!, way beyond my pension. I'm 'doing up' a Pye P28 at the mo', I love vintage wireless I have another four in various states of refurbishment, if I can't fix the chassis on one of them I'm thinking of making it a 'sleeper' i.e. put in a modern amp and speaker but try and keep the original controls on the outside. Anyone tried this before?.
(24-04-2021, 06:27 PM)pamphonica Wrote: [ -> ]Have I missed something?  Why is this price that high?
I understand that stylish round radios have a certain appeal (even if not really to me) but what's the deal for this model?
At a time when lovely, restored pre-war TVs are plunging in value, this seems to buck the trend.
  With it's 15 valves, it was the top of Murphy's radio achievements. A very animated tuning scale too.
I have the rare console version but in poor condition compared to this set..
As long as its cared for and doesn't get stripped out in the name of audiophoolery, then its nice to see someone with the money and room to take an interest.

A friend has just taken delivery of a very nice Pre ww2 HMV for next to nothing that has had it's turntable and amplifier/PS chassis robbed, (DH triode PP output stage) Sad.
This sort of stuff has gone on for ages.

I present two identical early crystal radios made by my wife's great-grandfather, Sydney Augustus Lamplugh...

...or do I?

[attachment=20636]
Stereo!
I hardly use online auction sites and know little about how they work. But isn't there a danger shill bidding is sometimes used by a group of accomplices as a technique to inflate the price? The item then reappears later at a genuine sale, with the perception of value duly raised. I have no intention to cast any aspersions in this case but I have reason to believe the £1120 once achieved by one of my Retrovisor televisions was a result of this practice.

Steve
Doesn't need to be online to get odd happenings. Nor does it need shills or any other malpractice.

At the Bennett-Levy auction a few years ago, a real auction in a room at Bonhams, the bidding went sky high on something that clearly didn't warrant the price. I don't recall what happened but ISTR the auctioneer realised something odd had happened, possibly a misunderstanding as to the nature of the lot, and started again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4