Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Pennine Amplifiers 'Scout' Radiogram.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What have we here?

[attachment=5089]
Something covered in a large sheet.

Cheers,

Steve P.
I don't think it's the budgie, I'm guessing radio related....consol

Lawrence.
Have you finally given in and got a valve tv to restoreWink

Regards
Luke
OK, here it is in all its glory:-

[attachment=5090][attachment=5091][attachment=5092]

Long-standing member may recall a few occasions when I've said I'd got a radiogram buried in a corner of my bedroom, the exhumation of which would be a hell of a job. I dug it out earlier and found it was both smaller and in better condition that I recalled.

It's a Pennine Amplifiers 'Scout' and has been stashed in that corner for the best part of twenty years. I'd hung onto it in the hope that one day I'd be able to do it up and that hour seems to have come.

On looking at the chassis I couldn't think what I'd been scarred of.

[attachment=5094][attachment=5095]

I knew it worked but wasn't very good. I woke it up through a 60W lamp and it worked quite well.

There doesn't seem to be any data on it but the valves are ECH35, 6K8GT, EBL31 and AZ31. First question is: Do short superhets have a 'That' capacitor?

Secondly, how old is it? I was told when I was given it that it had been bought in 1939 but it looks newer than that.

Finally, for now, I take it that trying to pull the 6K8GT out would not produce a happy result:-

[attachment=5093]

I can't do much yet as the two most unhappy looking caps are 0.05 mfd ones and the DAC90a used the last I'd got. I'll get some ordered after the w/end.

- Joe
looks in fantastic condition ,it will have that cap ,i bet it will soud great when done,i have never come across that make before.
rob t
Hi Joe, all the capacitors underside of the chassis look like "those" capacitors.
By "that capacitor" I presume you mean the one that normally makes the sound output valve do overtime if that capacitor is leaking, from the valve line up I think it would suggest that the EBL31 is the end of the line as it were therefore no "that capacitor" in the usuall sense, however the pentode will still have a grid coupling capacitor probably to the slider of the volume control, the top end of which should be connected one way or another to the cold end of the last IF transformer secondary via a simple C/R filter.
Hope this is of some use.
It looks in good nick.

Lawrence.
Sorry Joe I might have got mixed up, why does it have two triode hexodes?

Lawrence.
No idea, Lawernce. I'll double-check the numbers but think they'll be right as they aren't at all rubbed.

I did indeed mean the AF coupling cap - the one that usually connects the anode of something like an EACB80 to the grid of an EL84 or whatever.

It's too dull and dingy up here start tracing the circuit out so I'll see what's what tomorrow.

- Joe
A Short Superhet generally goes without the extra amp stage and the O/P valve generally is a valve like an EBL31 (Rare but an EBL21 or EBL1 will do given the relevant base change) which has the diodes and the O/P stage in the same unit.

Look at the Ferguson 209 (Trader Sheet 881) circuit to see what I mean. The capacitor you generally want to change is C19 on the Fergy circuit.

The valve data is here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ebl31.html

The capacitor is in the line to the Top Cap, which is a grid in this case. (Trust me, I'm a car salesman). Another good example is the Pye 15A.

The 6K8GT is a substitute put in at sometime. Should be an EF39. Check the base wiring carefully here and put the right valve in. The base wiring might be OK but it's worth checking,

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6k8gt.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ef39.html

The 6K8GT may well work in this position, but not as well.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Pages: 1 2 3 4