Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Pennine Amplifiers 'Scout' Radiogram.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(02-07-2012, 03:46 PM)Paula A Wrote: [ -> ]I do approve of your choice of 45 Wink

so do i
If I appended an audio clip I'd get banned!.

- Joe
I've been doing a bit of re-jigging of this today.

For all that it was OK with the LM386 in I knew that it was fundamentally the wrong devise to use and had fitted it because it was about the only thing I knew how to use at the time. As well as my knowledge growing since then so has my experience and I was getting ever more suspicious that it could be better.

The obvious thing would be to bung another valve in but I've no idea how much redundancy there is in the power supply and the last thing I want to do is over-load the transformer.

As it was now residing in my junk box I fitted the µA741 board I recently removed from my stand-alone amplifier. After a bit of fiddling this sounds far better. I wouldn't say it's much louder but has more depth somehow. There's also less background hum which was very surprising as it's PSU is unregulated.

Here's the circuit:-
[attachment=9386]
The experts will no doubt be loading their shovels with burning coals to heap upon my head but it sounds very nice to my ears.

- Joe
Another neatly drawn circuit Joe!

If it sound right, what the heck. Some heap derision on DAB radio but the Pure Evoke DAB radio that I have sounds just fine.

The main component of any sound system is the one that money can't buy - our ears!
Cheers, David. It all comes down to what you like; an old school-mate once said I must be the only person in the world who'd put a Bob Marley CD on and turn up the TREBLE.

By the way, the pre-amp has it's own transformer, pinched out of an old r/t charger. I tried borrowing the heater supply but literally blew two of the diodes up as it's earthed.

- Joe
Pages: 1 2 3 4