09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
There are obviously a number of members here who will have been around in the golden era of Heathkit, so who has actually built something from that esteemed companies range of products ?
To kick off with, I've assembled 3 in my time.
Started with an IG-18 audio signal generator, then an IO-18U valve scope and finally a pair of GD-39 ultrasonic intruder alarms, called the Intruder and disguised as a book !
All of them worked first time and with the exception of the scope are still working now ! The scope developed a problem the last time I used it which I have still to attend to. The beam just became impossible to focus and became a blur across the whole screen.
They were all built before I expired as a teenager and I was quite impressed with my achievement at the time !
I have acquired a number of other assembled Heathkits since, a variable DC lab psu, a digital multi-meter with a nixie display and an engine tune up meter, which is very useful for points and coil engines.
Have always been impressed with Heathkit quality and performance for the money, and the long term reliability has proven excellent.
To kick off with, I've assembled 3 in my time.
Started with an IG-18 audio signal generator, then an IO-18U valve scope and finally a pair of GD-39 ultrasonic intruder alarms, called the Intruder and disguised as a book !
All of them worked first time and with the exception of the scope are still working now ! The scope developed a problem the last time I used it which I have still to attend to. The beam just became impossible to focus and became a blur across the whole screen.
They were all built before I expired as a teenager and I was quite impressed with my achievement at the time !
I have acquired a number of other assembled Heathkits since, a variable DC lab psu, a digital multi-meter with a nixie display and an engine tune up meter, which is very useful for points and coil engines.
Have always been impressed with Heathkit quality and performance for the money, and the long term reliability has proven excellent.








