05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 10:12 PM by AlanBeckett.)
Back in the Dark Ages of 1973 I went to work for Rank Radio International (RRI), the Leak Wharfedale part, in Bradford. They had no Computing facilities and I needed to do lots of sums, so I persuaded them to buy me a Calculator. As I remember the hp ones had arrived but I hated RPN and you needed a magnifying glass to read it. What I really wanted/needed was a Programmable one, and there was only one available I think. Anyway, they were persuaded despite the fearsome price. Eighteen Months later they made the Department Redundant and I went to Plessey at Beeston, leaving the Calculator behind. Plessey did have Computing facilities of course but I wanted another Calculator, and as they were desperate to get the job done they bought me one as well. Three years later I left, once again leaving it behind, and never got another one, although I had plenty of others at one time and another.
I've often wondered if there were any still around and last year I decided to find out. The first problem was what was it called - I couldn't actually remember although I could visualise it well enough. Every now and again I had a search on ebay for likely candidates but never found one. Before Christmas I was telling my mate Tim about it in the Pub and he did a search, finding it almost instantly, or so it seemed. Out of the Mouths (or IPhones) of Babes etc,etc. It was a Sumlock Compucorp 324G Scientist I believe.
Having identified the Type it wasn't too difficult to find some information:-
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/c..._324g.html
http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/d-compucorp.html
https://sites.google.com/site/bobscalcul...mpucorp323
So, I set up a few Worldwide Searches on ebay and waited, and waited.
It wasn't until well into the New Year that one turned up, in England even. Actually it was a 320G which is not programmable. However, it's the same thing really so I thought I'd better have it. On the final evening I dialled in what I thought was a very generous amount and went to the Pub - it took every last penny. In fact if the opposition had bid another pound he'd have got it.
It was claimed to be working and there were pictures, although there were no Batteries, the Charger didn't work, it was grubby and there was a bit of the Front Panel Overlay missing. It arrived nicely packed and 'Just as Described' as they say, and just as I remembered, apart from the Programmable part.
The Seller had noted that the batteries - NiCds - were an odd size. They appear to be as long as a D Cell but thinner, but not as thin as a C Cell. Four D Cells could be squashed in but I didn't like it. So, I bought four NiMH C Cells plus a bit of Aluminium and turned up a couple of Spacers to fill the gap .....
.. and it sprang to life, albeit with a flashing Display whiich implies that the Batteries are low - well, I hadn't charged them. There should be four Terry-type clips to keep the Batteries in place but two of them are broken. I decided for safety I'd insulated the Spacers and put them in the middle which gives maximum support.
Now for the PSU, which was described as 'Buzzing faintly but no Output'. There was also no Calculator Plug.
Internally it's about as simple as they get - Transformer, Bridge, Big Electrolytic and (blown) Fuse. Despite what the Label says the unloaded Output is about 12 Volts. Installing a new Fuse and vandalising a Wallwort for a Plug fixed everything. The Loaded Output sank down to around what the Label says when plugged in.
And it works
So, a few (extra) comments:-
There is indeed a bit of Overlay broken off by the Switch at Top Left. That fooled me for a bit because I though the unknown position was Radians and I though the results I was getting were nonesense - panic. Actually it's Grads.
It is grubby and I haven't decided what to do about it yet.
It gets very hot, exactly as I remembered.
Some of the Keys - switches really - are a bit sticky/bouncy and sometimes produce Error Messages. I'm pondering on whether I'm brave enough to take it to bits then I could clean it up properly and clean the switches.
Alan
I've often wondered if there were any still around and last year I decided to find out. The first problem was what was it called - I couldn't actually remember although I could visualise it well enough. Every now and again I had a search on ebay for likely candidates but never found one. Before Christmas I was telling my mate Tim about it in the Pub and he did a search, finding it almost instantly, or so it seemed. Out of the Mouths (or IPhones) of Babes etc,etc. It was a Sumlock Compucorp 324G Scientist I believe.
Having identified the Type it wasn't too difficult to find some information:-
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/c..._324g.html
http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/d-compucorp.html
https://sites.google.com/site/bobscalcul...mpucorp323
So, I set up a few Worldwide Searches on ebay and waited, and waited.
It wasn't until well into the New Year that one turned up, in England even. Actually it was a 320G which is not programmable. However, it's the same thing really so I thought I'd better have it. On the final evening I dialled in what I thought was a very generous amount and went to the Pub - it took every last penny. In fact if the opposition had bid another pound he'd have got it.
It was claimed to be working and there were pictures, although there were no Batteries, the Charger didn't work, it was grubby and there was a bit of the Front Panel Overlay missing. It arrived nicely packed and 'Just as Described' as they say, and just as I remembered, apart from the Programmable part.
The Seller had noted that the batteries - NiCds - were an odd size. They appear to be as long as a D Cell but thinner, but not as thin as a C Cell. Four D Cells could be squashed in but I didn't like it. So, I bought four NiMH C Cells plus a bit of Aluminium and turned up a couple of Spacers to fill the gap .....
.. and it sprang to life, albeit with a flashing Display whiich implies that the Batteries are low - well, I hadn't charged them. There should be four Terry-type clips to keep the Batteries in place but two of them are broken. I decided for safety I'd insulated the Spacers and put them in the middle which gives maximum support.
Now for the PSU, which was described as 'Buzzing faintly but no Output'. There was also no Calculator Plug.
Internally it's about as simple as they get - Transformer, Bridge, Big Electrolytic and (blown) Fuse. Despite what the Label says the unloaded Output is about 12 Volts. Installing a new Fuse and vandalising a Wallwort for a Plug fixed everything. The Loaded Output sank down to around what the Label says when plugged in.
And it works

So, a few (extra) comments:-
There is indeed a bit of Overlay broken off by the Switch at Top Left. That fooled me for a bit because I though the unknown position was Radians and I though the results I was getting were nonesense - panic. Actually it's Grads.
It is grubby and I haven't decided what to do about it yet.
It gets very hot, exactly as I remembered.
Some of the Keys - switches really - are a bit sticky/bouncy and sometimes produce Error Messages. I'm pondering on whether I'm brave enough to take it to bits then I could clean it up properly and clean the switches.
Alan







