09-03-2021, 11:28 AM
I've just had an interesting discussion!
I work at a company which, amongst other things, manufactures build-to-print designs to customer drawings. And one of our test people was having trouble, appealed for help...
The assembly in question is an old PCB assembly, pre-CAD days. The fault turned out to be a 1N4148 diode fitted backwards (found using a DVM by logical tracing, Smithy-style - if I'd looked at the board legend like Dick would have done, I'd have saved myself 5 minutes).
Anyway! The diode is indicated on the screen-printed legend as two square brackets, each with a short white line emerging, and a " + " sign against one. The assembly people had fitted the diode so that the end with the bar is against the unidentified hole in the PCB, and the end without the bar against the + symbol. The inspectors, and the tester, having been to college, accepted this as correct, because "The anode you make positive; the cathode you make negative. And the end with the bar is the cathode, innit."
So I explained, "Well, if you mark a diode at all, the cathode you mark with a +, the anode you would leave as being fed with AC, because in a rectifier circuit the cathode becomes the positive terminal."
But, are our colleges really instructing people to fit diodes with anode to + symbols? It seems they are!! And every diode on every board has been fitted backwards.
(Incidentally, my own circuit board diode legends are rectangular boxes with a bar on one end, to exactly match the component).
I work at a company which, amongst other things, manufactures build-to-print designs to customer drawings. And one of our test people was having trouble, appealed for help...
The assembly in question is an old PCB assembly, pre-CAD days. The fault turned out to be a 1N4148 diode fitted backwards (found using a DVM by logical tracing, Smithy-style - if I'd looked at the board legend like Dick would have done, I'd have saved myself 5 minutes).
Anyway! The diode is indicated on the screen-printed legend as two square brackets, each with a short white line emerging, and a " + " sign against one. The assembly people had fitted the diode so that the end with the bar is against the unidentified hole in the PCB, and the end without the bar against the + symbol. The inspectors, and the tester, having been to college, accepted this as correct, because "The anode you make positive; the cathode you make negative. And the end with the bar is the cathode, innit."
So I explained, "Well, if you mark a diode at all, the cathode you mark with a +, the anode you would leave as being fed with AC, because in a rectifier circuit the cathode becomes the positive terminal."
But, are our colleges really instructing people to fit diodes with anode to + symbols? It seems they are!! And every diode on every board has been fitted backwards.
(Incidentally, my own circuit board diode legends are rectangular boxes with a bar on one end, to exactly match the component).








