08-11-2016, 09:10 PM
The subject of this topic is a very small superhet I picked up in France many tears ago. The set also appeared as a topic on the UKVRRR in the summer of 2012.
Today, I decided to tough it out and attempt to make the set work. The receiver is designed for operation on 110 volts so for the time being the variac will be used until some other supply arrangement can be employed.
First fault found was the 25Z5 HT rectifier was found to have an OC heater. Couldn't find one in the shop, the 25Z5 wasn't used often in UK made radios. This valve has the 6 pin American base. The 25Z6 is electrically similar but has the octal base. For the time being I've bodged in a PY88 TV booster diode, the B9A base has had three wires connected to it and these are passed through the holes of the old valve socket.
That's got the audio amplifier of the radio working, good hum heard when the top cap of the type 75 amplifier valve is touched. Eventually, I got the set to work but apart from bad sound quality because of an off centre 'speaker speech coil the IF amplifier is unstable, whistles and buzzing sounds.
Low intermediate frequency, 130Kc/s and it's known these low IFs can be a bit unstable. Let's see if I can tame it.
Geordie McBoyne.
Today, I decided to tough it out and attempt to make the set work. The receiver is designed for operation on 110 volts so for the time being the variac will be used until some other supply arrangement can be employed.
First fault found was the 25Z5 HT rectifier was found to have an OC heater. Couldn't find one in the shop, the 25Z5 wasn't used often in UK made radios. This valve has the 6 pin American base. The 25Z6 is electrically similar but has the octal base. For the time being I've bodged in a PY88 TV booster diode, the B9A base has had three wires connected to it and these are passed through the holes of the old valve socket.
That's got the audio amplifier of the radio working, good hum heard when the top cap of the type 75 amplifier valve is touched. Eventually, I got the set to work but apart from bad sound quality because of an off centre 'speaker speech coil the IF amplifier is unstable, whistles and buzzing sounds.
Low intermediate frequency, 130Kc/s and it's known these low IFs can be a bit unstable. Let's see if I can tame it.
Geordie McBoyne.








