30-09-2016, 03:41 PM
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2016, 03:45 PM by Murphyv310.)
Hi.
A few years ago I ditched the Monarch deck in my second generation Black box for a Garrard AT6 & Sontone 9TA cartridge. Although adequate on older 45's & some 78's it would struggle for enough volume on LP's.
I considered building a preamp for some time but today after chatting to Radioman on Wednesday went ahead.
Andy said make a preamp with a FET, the thought of using these ultra modern devices in a 1955 record player made me shudder.
I also didn't fancy an ECC81 or EF86 as current is rather limited on these amps in the Black Box.
So I decided on a Rod Pentode 1J18B
The result is brilliant, I now have the benefit of PYE's compensated volume control and above half volume on an LP the the unit now distorts.
I have wired the valve as a triode, HT come from the main HT of the unit via a 1.8 meg resistor, the filament is fed from the live side of the 6.3 heaters, half wave rectified smoothed and clamped by two 1N4004 diodes that hold the voltage a little over 1.5 v. The filament is dropped by a resistor to 1.1v (Value on selection dependent on valve used) in my case a 33 & 100 ohm in parallel gave me the desired voltage. HT consumption is microscopic as can be seen by the the HT dropper, a whacking 1.8 megs.
The input impedance is very high and a 10 meg goes from G1 to the positive side of the filaments, taking it to ground or feeding it from a negative supply just turns the valve further off and it distorts, HT is around 33v.
So a good use for one of these valves, there is no hum even with half wave LT for the filament. The Zener (47v) across the HT feed to the valve would be a good idea to protect the 47uf 50v HT decoupler if the filament supply goes down, I didn't bother though.


The rod pentodes I believe had their first use in 1957, used in Sputnik!! No doubt the development was done for many years beforehand but yes the FET would have been a neater way round, mind you I've a lot more rod valves than FET's.




