26-08-2014, 09:43 AM
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2014, 09:54 AM by Radio Fixer.)
I have put this here as it is a most useful part of my test gear with eyes that don't see so good these days.
Anyone got any bright ideas (no pun intended) on an old (maybe 25 years) fluorescent lamp that goes through tubes in about 3 months of limited use. If it were an ordinary fitting I would just dump it but it is a circular 5” magnifying lamp and very useful. It’s better than modern ones as it sits on a heavy base and can be moved around the bench. New ones are less flexible as they clamp to the bench.
The circuit is simple: in the base there are 3 chokes of 0.5H and 16 Ohms each, in series, as ballast once the tube has stuck and current is flowing through the ionised gas. There is no neon type starter but a push button that allows current to flow through the tube heaters if the gas doesn’t strike. When the tubes are new it is not necessary to use this. The heaters are always OK and so something is quitting in the gas: I've worn out the ions !
This lamp may originally have used a 30W tube but this is not available now in 200 mm size. So I have used metal clad resistors, mounted inside the large metal base, in series with the ballast, to use a 22W tube.
Total added resistance, arrived at by trying and measuring, is 300 Ohms and using one of those plug in power meters and a true RMS lab meter these are the figures the tube was running at when fitted:
Mains in 244V, I in 0.27A, W (as shown on the plug in meter) = 42, V across the 300 Ohms = 80V (measured with the lab meter).
So power taken by the resistors = 21.3W and so power in the tube should be
42 – 21.3 = 20.7W for a tube rated at 22W.
This seems all good to me so why do the tubes have such a short life ?
I cant re-measure the figures as the tube no longer strikes. But I'm usually careful about making measurements and don't suspect them.
thanks Gary
Anyone got any bright ideas (no pun intended) on an old (maybe 25 years) fluorescent lamp that goes through tubes in about 3 months of limited use. If it were an ordinary fitting I would just dump it but it is a circular 5” magnifying lamp and very useful. It’s better than modern ones as it sits on a heavy base and can be moved around the bench. New ones are less flexible as they clamp to the bench.
The circuit is simple: in the base there are 3 chokes of 0.5H and 16 Ohms each, in series, as ballast once the tube has stuck and current is flowing through the ionised gas. There is no neon type starter but a push button that allows current to flow through the tube heaters if the gas doesn’t strike. When the tubes are new it is not necessary to use this. The heaters are always OK and so something is quitting in the gas: I've worn out the ions !
This lamp may originally have used a 30W tube but this is not available now in 200 mm size. So I have used metal clad resistors, mounted inside the large metal base, in series with the ballast, to use a 22W tube.
Total added resistance, arrived at by trying and measuring, is 300 Ohms and using one of those plug in power meters and a true RMS lab meter these are the figures the tube was running at when fitted:
Mains in 244V, I in 0.27A, W (as shown on the plug in meter) = 42, V across the 300 Ohms = 80V (measured with the lab meter).
So power taken by the resistors = 21.3W and so power in the tube should be
42 – 21.3 = 20.7W for a tube rated at 22W.
This seems all good to me so why do the tubes have such a short life ?
I cant re-measure the figures as the tube no longer strikes. But I'm usually careful about making measurements and don't suspect them.
thanks Gary







