20-08-2011, 07:15 AM
I think we'd more or less got used to winters with little snow, that doesn't hang around for long, but last winter was (hopefully!) exceptional, given that it started on 28 Nov and hung around till well into the New Year. I live in East Yorks, on the outskirts of Hull, where it's flat as a pancake, but my younger son lives in Matlock Bath up a 1-in-3 hill near the Heights of Abraham, and works in Chesterfield, so you'll know the terrain. He's been there 12 years, and apart from last year, I can only remember a few winter days when he couldn't get his car on the road and over the hills to Chesterfield and back. Remarkable really.
I don't bother with winter tyres, but in many European countries they're mandatory from about Oct-March. It has to be remembered that they perform much better in cold weather - not simply in ice and snow. I tend not to take the car out in snow if I can avoid it, because it's not your own driving that's the issue, but other people's. Its clear that many drivers haven't much of a clue as to driving techniques in such weather, and are accidents waiting to happen.
I know what the terrain is like where Colin lives, having visited him, and can well understand why he has the good sense to fit winter tyres.
David.
I don't bother with winter tyres, but in many European countries they're mandatory from about Oct-March. It has to be remembered that they perform much better in cold weather - not simply in ice and snow. I tend not to take the car out in snow if I can avoid it, because it's not your own driving that's the issue, but other people's. Its clear that many drivers haven't much of a clue as to driving techniques in such weather, and are accidents waiting to happen.
I know what the terrain is like where Colin lives, having visited him, and can well understand why he has the good sense to fit winter tyres.
David.








