Having another go to sort this radio today. Tried pulling V2 whilst checking the HT. Got a rise of only 6 volts.
Thinking laterally, I have checked all the tracks, valve pins and sockets, all the discrete components. valves and all connections.
What I had not fully explored was the oscillator coil. I knew it had continuity when I checked but could it have a loss of Q or even shorted turns?
I checked it with the magic Chinese box, got some very odd impedance readings, flicking up and down.
On removing it I found that the wax impregnation was very poorly done on the bottom side and there was a distinct green tint to the winding.
I lifted one end and started to unwind it, very quickly found that it was rotten on the outside layers.
Quickly pile wound some new wire on and tried it in the set.
Success! reception, not brilliant and the RF alignment is well out but it works!
I'll try the one from Crackle's set which he kindly sent me, its a bit cold and dark now.
Thanks for all the help guys, I was beginning to doubt my sanity.