18-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi,
It would have been easy to add a disc sander uc182; the motor could be elevated and the disc mounted directly onto the motor shaft giving direct drive also by elevating the motor a sanding table could be added. Once such a project is undertaken it opens up lots of possibilities only limited by ones imagination. As I was working in the middle of the worst winter ever recorded I was more than happy to just put a belt sander together; I've just been using it in the garage as I'm making a small wooden box to house the excellent ESR unit David very kindly sent me a while ago. The box is comb jointed of course.
A belt sander is very useful Jamie but I feel a 12V motor would struggle; 1/2hp single phase 240V would be ideal though and such motors are quite cheap. I can just about make anything Jamie if it is wood or metal; some things do stretch my determination though but I'm stubborn enough to win through in the end.
The sander is certainly functional Alan and has been well worth the effort in making it; I agree that bought sanders are expensive and your comment about my sander doing the same job for a great deal less outlay is spot on. It is the belt that does the work and as long as the motor is powerful enough to drive the belt and the work can be presented for sanding without deflecting the belt then the sanding results should equal even the most expensive belt sanders. I was encouraged to make this sander after watching a video of a belt sander in action on the Internet; the sander being used was a beauty and I'll try to find the site and post it for members to view the video.
It was a pleasure for me and Bron to show you around when you visited David and you are most welcome any time as is Alan although I fear Alan might just drag a big engineering lathe up with him to drop in my lap. Thank you for the kind comments
My 3 phase 415V gets a lot of use in fact I've just been using it whilst making the ESR box mentioned above. I would never have thought it possible to install 3 phase 415V for less than £120 but I did it and it has been working well for a couple of years now. It's very impressive to visitors when I power up both the bandsaw and dust extractor together. Winding and installing the large transformer was a huge project and as usual carried out mid winter in fact I obtained the scrap transformer from the scrap yard over the moors whilst it was snowing and there was a great deal of ice around; details of such projects are seldom forgotten. I've been offered another 3 phase transformer in the last two weeks this one too is a 10KVA but of no use to me as transformers can always be rewound and mine is well on top of the job.
Yes; I would agree David my Startrite 24" Volant band saw is a beast but a delight to own and use. It also has a built in blade grinder as well as the blade welder. I've got the grinder working and have tried the welder out but it only appears to anneal the blades so a bit more work is called for but it does get a lot of use. It was £150 worth of scrap when I bought it but a rebuild brought it into good working order; you don't see these band saws often in a home workshop but if space is available such a band saw can be bought for the price of new hobby one.
Kind regards, Col.
It would have been easy to add a disc sander uc182; the motor could be elevated and the disc mounted directly onto the motor shaft giving direct drive also by elevating the motor a sanding table could be added. Once such a project is undertaken it opens up lots of possibilities only limited by ones imagination. As I was working in the middle of the worst winter ever recorded I was more than happy to just put a belt sander together; I've just been using it in the garage as I'm making a small wooden box to house the excellent ESR unit David very kindly sent me a while ago. The box is comb jointed of course.
A belt sander is very useful Jamie but I feel a 12V motor would struggle; 1/2hp single phase 240V would be ideal though and such motors are quite cheap. I can just about make anything Jamie if it is wood or metal; some things do stretch my determination though but I'm stubborn enough to win through in the end.
The sander is certainly functional Alan and has been well worth the effort in making it; I agree that bought sanders are expensive and your comment about my sander doing the same job for a great deal less outlay is spot on. It is the belt that does the work and as long as the motor is powerful enough to drive the belt and the work can be presented for sanding without deflecting the belt then the sanding results should equal even the most expensive belt sanders. I was encouraged to make this sander after watching a video of a belt sander in action on the Internet; the sander being used was a beauty and I'll try to find the site and post it for members to view the video.
It was a pleasure for me and Bron to show you around when you visited David and you are most welcome any time as is Alan although I fear Alan might just drag a big engineering lathe up with him to drop in my lap. Thank you for the kind comments
My 3 phase 415V gets a lot of use in fact I've just been using it whilst making the ESR box mentioned above. I would never have thought it possible to install 3 phase 415V for less than £120 but I did it and it has been working well for a couple of years now. It's very impressive to visitors when I power up both the bandsaw and dust extractor together. Winding and installing the large transformer was a huge project and as usual carried out mid winter in fact I obtained the scrap transformer from the scrap yard over the moors whilst it was snowing and there was a great deal of ice around; details of such projects are seldom forgotten. I've been offered another 3 phase transformer in the last two weeks this one too is a 10KVA but of no use to me as transformers can always be rewound and mine is well on top of the job.
Yes; I would agree David my Startrite 24" Volant band saw is a beast but a delight to own and use. It also has a built in blade grinder as well as the blade welder. I've got the grinder working and have tried the welder out but it only appears to anneal the blades so a bit more work is called for but it does get a lot of use. It was £150 worth of scrap when I bought it but a rebuild brought it into good working order; you don't see these band saws often in a home workshop but if space is available such a band saw can be bought for the price of new hobby one.
Kind regards, Col.






