20-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I was given a little Lorch lathe, about which I knew nothing until I took it to Colin, (Retired) when I visiterd hm some months ago. It came with a box of bits, of which I'd no idea what they were for, and Colin told me they were collets. He advised me that it was a wathcmakers' lathe, and told me a little of the history of Lorch - apparently a highly regarded German company in its day.
My main interest is in woodturning, for which I have a modern lathe with a 1.5HP motor. Occasionally I press it into service to turn plastic and light metals such as alloy and brass, but hopefully, this summer, I'll fettle up the little Lorch and find space for it somewhere. Most of the metalwork tasks that I need to do are lightweight things within the scope of the Lorch. If not, I have a few model engineering friends I can call upon.
I've attached a couple of pics, which I hope are of interest.
David
My main interest is in woodturning, for which I have a modern lathe with a 1.5HP motor. Occasionally I press it into service to turn plastic and light metals such as alloy and brass, but hopefully, this summer, I'll fettle up the little Lorch and find space for it somewhere. Most of the metalwork tasks that I need to do are lightweight things within the scope of the Lorch. If not, I have a few model engineering friends I can call upon.
I've attached a couple of pics, which I hope are of interest.
David







