20-03-2011, 07:02 PM
The biggest problem I suspect is what to buy, which hinges on what do you want to do and what is your level of experience. In days of old people would have gone to their local Tech and joined a Model Engineering class in order to gain some experience and get an idea of what they needed. Jamie is in a privileged position these days because as far as I know most schools have given them up, probably on the basis if H&S.
£250 plus! I had to sit down quietly and have a small brandy when I read that. Of course you could do that, and simply as a means to an end it probably is the way to go. But as 'fixers' it's much more interesting to get an older model and play with it. Believe me it's much cheaper. For those within striking distance the Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition is in May - http://www.theharrogateshow.com/index.html. For the rest? Well I suspect that there's enough of us to do a bit of training, advice and turning, provided you don't want a new crankshaft for your V8
Alan
£250 plus! I had to sit down quietly and have a small brandy when I read that. Of course you could do that, and simply as a means to an end it probably is the way to go. But as 'fixers' it's much more interesting to get an older model and play with it. Believe me it's much cheaper. For those within striking distance the Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition is in May - http://www.theharrogateshow.com/index.html. For the rest? Well I suspect that there's enough of us to do a bit of training, advice and turning, provided you don't want a new crankshaft for your V8

Alan






