04-06-2023, 06:08 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2023, 06:09 PM by Mike Watterson.)
Yes, those are serious relays. :D
Thanks for tip.
Today I tested a repaired military double discone that uses 4 x folding spring loaded whips for top half. Works well on 50MHz. The lower discone is four guy wires that are connected to four tent style guy ropes. Mast is 2 x multisection spring loaded folds that's wobbly till guys are done. Really needs two people to put it up, though if I add 4x plastic rope guys to top of bottom half folding mast it will be easy. Works well at 7MHz, acceptable at 5MHz and no use on 3.7MHz. SWR is high at 70MHz at about 3:1, but I suspect that can be fixed as the top whips are about 2.6m. Not sure why it works on 40m and 60m bands, perhaps I was tuning the feed cable!
A few shops were still selling Band I yagi for TV about 5 years ago (old stock?) even though that closed in 1999. I meant to get one but thought he was asking too much. Unlike actual Radios, a VHF aerial isn't that hard to make. The Band III TV closed 2012 and Band III DAB closed maybe April or May 2021, though was officially ended at the end of March 2021.
Thanks for tip.
Today I tested a repaired military double discone that uses 4 x folding spring loaded whips for top half. Works well on 50MHz. The lower discone is four guy wires that are connected to four tent style guy ropes. Mast is 2 x multisection spring loaded folds that's wobbly till guys are done. Really needs two people to put it up, though if I add 4x plastic rope guys to top of bottom half folding mast it will be easy. Works well at 7MHz, acceptable at 5MHz and no use on 3.7MHz. SWR is high at 70MHz at about 3:1, but I suspect that can be fixed as the top whips are about 2.6m. Not sure why it works on 40m and 60m bands, perhaps I was tuning the feed cable!
A few shops were still selling Band I yagi for TV about 5 years ago (old stock?) even though that closed in 1999. I meant to get one but thought he was asking too much. Unlike actual Radios, a VHF aerial isn't that hard to make. The Band III TV closed 2012 and Band III DAB closed maybe April or May 2021, though was officially ended at the end of March 2021.







