01-04-2022, 07:50 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 07:50 AM by Diabolical Artificer.)
"That's a serious choke! But with no-maths, are you sure it's 30H 1.5A?" No, measured inductance is at no load but I did test it with DC trying to saturate the core, I got to 2.5A and gave up which surprised me, because as you say chokes for this sort of load are usually much bigger. I wound it to answer a question,"what would I get if I wound a load of turns on a bobbin" the answer 30H at 100hz.I didn't even bother much with the gap, I used the inners out of Rizla's, bout 2 thou at a guess as gaps. My main concern was can it supply two 50w ish amps at full whack + a bit when in a CLC filter, the answer was yes. The load on it will be nowhere near 1.5A, OP stage quiescent is 2 * 200mA rises to 300mA full whack, before clipping . So, yes no maths involved in the choke "design" but some fudging of specs.
I have several toroids out of Satelite PSU's that have the primary on the outside, which is a pain as normally it's just a case of removing a 100 turns or so of heavy gauge wire, popping on a fewsecondarys and bish bash bosh you have a good mains tfmr.With the primary on the outside you have to unwind to the core.That said that means you can overwind the tfmr at a lower Tesla rating to get better regulation and offten a better wound tfmr. Some of the toroids I've re-used are badly wound. this toroid does dim the lights and the PC's has a hissy fit despite a heavy slow start circuit to limit I into the HT big caps and a big thermistor to limit inrush into the toroid.
Andy.
I have several toroids out of Satelite PSU's that have the primary on the outside, which is a pain as normally it's just a case of removing a 100 turns or so of heavy gauge wire, popping on a fewsecondarys and bish bash bosh you have a good mains tfmr.With the primary on the outside you have to unwind to the core.That said that means you can overwind the tfmr at a lower Tesla rating to get better regulation and offten a better wound tfmr. Some of the toroids I've re-used are badly wound. this toroid does dim the lights and the PC's has a hissy fit despite a heavy slow start circuit to limit I into the HT big caps and a big thermistor to limit inrush into the toroid.
Andy.







