17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Hello Peter; I imagine one can after practice, but would assume it takes time to acquire the skills when doing that to recognise the effects.
Many years ago I used to do the odd CB and Amateur radio repair, when the set's finally came to me, something would have failed and the set gone deaf, rather than look for a faulty component the owner many a time, went down the have a twiddle of the cores eventually bringing it to me as I had the gear for transceivers, so after finding a faulty component would then have to go through the RX and possibly TX alignment if they had twiddled too much.
My gear is all narrow band, I have no Wobbulators or sweep generators for TV if's and even though I have tried to use my spectrum analyser and sweep generator to the best I can, I am unhappy with the lines. It is possible it is not the IF, could be a peaking circuit, a high damping resistor etc, I believe that someone with time in the trade would have a lot better knowledge on the faults than my own approach.
Adrian
Many years ago I used to do the odd CB and Amateur radio repair, when the set's finally came to me, something would have failed and the set gone deaf, rather than look for a faulty component the owner many a time, went down the have a twiddle of the cores eventually bringing it to me as I had the gear for transceivers, so after finding a faulty component would then have to go through the RX and possibly TX alignment if they had twiddled too much.
My gear is all narrow band, I have no Wobbulators or sweep generators for TV if's and even though I have tried to use my spectrum analyser and sweep generator to the best I can, I am unhappy with the lines. It is possible it is not the IF, could be a peaking circuit, a high damping resistor etc, I believe that someone with time in the trade would have a lot better knowledge on the faults than my own approach.
Adrian
Learning as I go!
Youtube EF91 Valve
Youtube EF91 Valve







