01-06-2021, 12:30 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM by Murphyv310.)
Hi.
A beginner with limited knowledge should always start with an analogue scope. I agree with Jeffery an old Hameg or Hitachi are ideal. Dont run before you can walk. Buying expensive new kit can be a mistake if you give up and then you never recoup your losses.
Take me for example. I passed my foundation and intermediate amateur radio exam. Did I go out and buy a £2500 transceiver and an expensive cobweb antenna? No I bought a very tidy Icom IC-706 for £300, made a 2 meter Slim jim, then I bought a £50 yagi and modified a Silver Rod for 10 meters. So if I did give up I'd sell the radio for what I paid for it, the antennas would get me something but the loss would be small. I'm not giving up as I'm more than happy in the hobby having QSOs into Europe and the US.
A beginner with limited knowledge should always start with an analogue scope. I agree with Jeffery an old Hameg or Hitachi are ideal. Dont run before you can walk. Buying expensive new kit can be a mistake if you give up and then you never recoup your losses.
Take me for example. I passed my foundation and intermediate amateur radio exam. Did I go out and buy a £2500 transceiver and an expensive cobweb antenna? No I bought a very tidy Icom IC-706 for £300, made a 2 meter Slim jim, then I bought a £50 yagi and modified a Silver Rod for 10 meters. So if I did give up I'd sell the radio for what I paid for it, the antennas would get me something but the loss would be small. I'm not giving up as I'm more than happy in the hobby having QSOs into Europe and the US.






