24-03-2021, 08:10 PM
The level of security you need is proportionate to the risk. If it's your own files, including all the slightly naughty things that you never downloaded, I'm sure that folding the platter in half will be enough. Forensic recovery is non-trivial and only done when really needed by the spooks, commercial interests or law enforcement.
I think that heating the platter past curie point is guaranteed but I'm not 100% sure. Part of the problem is knowing that you've actually reached the temperature throughout the platter.
As for software solutions, simply writing all zeros to every sector of a modern HDD should defeat all but forensic recovery. Older HDDs with less dense data may need better methods.
I don't know what counts as reliable data erasure for SSDs. I don't know if the methods described here are secure: https://www.wepc.com/how-to/securely-era...ssd-drive/
I think that heating the platter past curie point is guaranteed but I'm not 100% sure. Part of the problem is knowing that you've actually reached the temperature throughout the platter.
As for software solutions, simply writing all zeros to every sector of a modern HDD should defeat all but forensic recovery. Older HDDs with less dense data may need better methods.
I don't know what counts as reliable data erasure for SSDs. I don't know if the methods described here are secure: https://www.wepc.com/how-to/securely-era...ssd-drive/
www.borinsky.co.uk Jeffrey Borinsky www.becg.tv







