23-03-2021, 01:50 PM
The trouble with old computers is that (I would think) they are unlikely to be wanted if they don't run modern software. Yes we know they will often work well with Linux but is this demand for school computers really limited to fairly modern computers that will run supported Microsoft software (maybe Windows 7 up)? When I investigated a little I found that there was likely far more demand to ex large business PC's in which fairly modern PC's can be updated en-masse rather than odds and ends. I may be wrong but suspect not. Apart from enthusiasts I think a backup network is required. I don't know who supports the home computer system but they would need to simplify their task.
There is a retro technology world so much of it can be recycled but, not to forget, this is basically a retro technology forum. Really how many old radio's and TV's are more stored than used? Some people I have had occasion to visit in the past have enough equipment for a museum so even using monthly use is unlikely. I must admit though that, for instance, the external CD ROM drive I bought quite a few years ago has now become very useful now that new laptops often don't have a CD drive. I have used the external floppy disk drive to search through old files recently too! Yes, some things are likely very desirable at times.
My thoughts here are from researching into other topics, as well as electronics and radio. Individual names tend to crop up time and time again in the online world although there are many occasional consumers for odd items. Some things I buy have actually been on the market online for months.
Tracy
There is a retro technology world so much of it can be recycled but, not to forget, this is basically a retro technology forum. Really how many old radio's and TV's are more stored than used? Some people I have had occasion to visit in the past have enough equipment for a museum so even using monthly use is unlikely. I must admit though that, for instance, the external CD ROM drive I bought quite a few years ago has now become very useful now that new laptops often don't have a CD drive. I have used the external floppy disk drive to search through old files recently too! Yes, some things are likely very desirable at times.
My thoughts here are from researching into other topics, as well as electronics and radio. Individual names tend to crop up time and time again in the online world although there are many occasional consumers for odd items. Some things I buy have actually been on the market online for months.
Tracy







