Having experienced many styles of muliple choice questions in the past from different people and organisations I have mixed feelings. I can see the point of some using them as they can be more easily computer marked, or by someone who is otherwise unqualified. It does seem to often be as much of understanding English as the subject itself though. With a well written paper and a good understanding of the subject, navigation can be very rapid but they can be very tricky too. The most devious I ever came across was from a maths lecturer I had. His papers were so involved (well they weren't primary math) that there was mostly no point of looking at the answers before starting, just working the answer out. He even said that before we even attempted a paper. Still this was the guy who had the class up in arms one time with accusations of 'magic tricks' when sorting a complex transformation. He was the type who loved boards full of equations. In defence though, I would say he was the best mathematician I have ever known, who really knew his stuff.
Tracy
Tracy







