25-07-2020, 11:01 AM
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2020, 11:05 AM by Mike Watterson.)
The 1L6 is similar performance to the DL92, and a DL92 will work, except the capacitances are different, so not a plug in replacement for the shorter bands. Fine on MW. Many USA Broadcast only sets also used the 1L6, it's not rare. The problem is Transoceanic collectors hoarding them, thus the price is high.
The DK40 is very good and can be used in earlier TO before they changed to the 1L6 B7G. It was used instead of the 1R5 / DK91 for SW till the DK92 came out, so you'll see it in European / UK sets that are otherwise B7G. The DK96 may not even be as good as the DK91/1R5 for SW, hence SW sets using the DK92 up till maybe 1958 in the UK & Europe.
I've figured that sawing off the bottom of a military B7G pin protector is good to make a B7G plug. I have a load of them. My wire is a little thin for the pins, so I'll tin it with the horrible solder I got by accident.
The 1j24b seems to have very low capacitances, so since two work as a DK91 / DK96, I will try them on the Pygmy on SW and then add parallel resistor for 50mA and small capacitors to create a plug replacement 1L6. I have two models of Transoceanic, one RCA clone and one Hallicrafters clone and only one good 1L6
I have a McMichael 1949 2V set. Neither KK32 nor an adapted DK92 works on the shortest SW. The other 3 bands are fine. I'll try the dual 1j24b in that too, even though technically it's a separate oscillator and Pentode mixer and not a pentagrid. Most circuits work with either as the pentagrid/heptode/octode/nonode g2 is a sort of anode.
The DK40 is very good and can be used in earlier TO before they changed to the 1L6 B7G. It was used instead of the 1R5 / DK91 for SW till the DK92 came out, so you'll see it in European / UK sets that are otherwise B7G. The DK96 may not even be as good as the DK91/1R5 for SW, hence SW sets using the DK92 up till maybe 1958 in the UK & Europe.
I've figured that sawing off the bottom of a military B7G pin protector is good to make a B7G plug. I have a load of them. My wire is a little thin for the pins, so I'll tin it with the horrible solder I got by accident.
The 1j24b seems to have very low capacitances, so since two work as a DK91 / DK96, I will try them on the Pygmy on SW and then add parallel resistor for 50mA and small capacitors to create a plug replacement 1L6. I have two models of Transoceanic, one RCA clone and one Hallicrafters clone and only one good 1L6

I have a McMichael 1949 2V set. Neither KK32 nor an adapted DK92 works on the shortest SW. The other 3 bands are fine. I'll try the dual 1j24b in that too, even though technically it's a separate oscillator and Pentode mixer and not a pentagrid. Most circuits work with either as the pentagrid/heptode/octode/nonode g2 is a sort of anode.







