25-07-2020, 09:14 AM
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2020, 09:28 AM by Mike Watterson.)
I'm thinking it sounds like loss of HT to large electrolytic.
At least it's only 9V and no glowing bits.
It's not always perfect outside of the cabinet.
It's a shame because it's lovely when working. Totally dead this morning. Then on third attempt brief life. There may be two faults as just now there is faint hiss, clicking the wavechange brought back operation.
Now it seems fine.
I bought this because either it or the R700 was the last set my Grandparents had. I bought the R600 too. In the early 1990s my grandfather died in the nursing home (he wasn't particularly unwell, but in his 90s). My mum had previously chucked out anything in their flat she didn't want and at that point dumped his Roberts radio. "It was old."
Our first TV and radio were their cast offs. A big console TV with doors about 1959 or 1960. Then a big AM/FM radiogram with hinge out record storage. Maybe an RG101. My dad decided to take it to my other grandfather as he'd got a Murphy "batwing" AM/FM set and we had a KB toaster in the kitchen. We also had some sort of home made turntable that curiously had a lamp inside the box. It was not long after the start of the M2 was open and it was on the roof rack of a Simca, another cast off from my mum's parents. It came off the rack on the motorway. The cabinet totally came apart at all the seams. So we loaded all the bits into the boot and said nothing to grandpa. I was allowed to keep the parts, except the cabinet. The valves, scale glass and radio chassis was fine! I forget what became of it.
At least it's only 9V and no glowing bits.
It's not always perfect outside of the cabinet.
It's a shame because it's lovely when working. Totally dead this morning. Then on third attempt brief life. There may be two faults as just now there is faint hiss, clicking the wavechange brought back operation.Now it seems fine.
I bought this because either it or the R700 was the last set my Grandparents had. I bought the R600 too. In the early 1990s my grandfather died in the nursing home (he wasn't particularly unwell, but in his 90s). My mum had previously chucked out anything in their flat she didn't want and at that point dumped his Roberts radio. "It was old."
Our first TV and radio were their cast offs. A big console TV with doors about 1959 or 1960. Then a big AM/FM radiogram with hinge out record storage. Maybe an RG101. My dad decided to take it to my other grandfather as he'd got a Murphy "batwing" AM/FM set and we had a KB toaster in the kitchen. We also had some sort of home made turntable that curiously had a lamp inside the box. It was not long after the start of the M2 was open and it was on the roof rack of a Simca, another cast off from my mum's parents. It came off the rack on the motorway. The cabinet totally came apart at all the seams. So we loaded all the bits into the boot and said nothing to grandpa. I was allowed to keep the parts, except the cabinet. The valves, scale glass and radio chassis was fine! I forget what became of it.







