21-07-2020, 11:05 PM
I couldn't resist it.
Assembled and a dead short on the HT to OV. It was the untouched primary wire of the IFT I'd worked at. Corroded and a whisker touching can. It snapped there so retinned and resoldered to cap track, put thick PVC tape. Replaced an eyelet style ribbon on can to lug. Remounted. BBC R4 LW loud. RTE R1 LW weaker, so alignment.
The detector / secondary of IFT doesn't quite peak, so I'll take that out and check it more exactly, take some turns off.
Audio quality isn't great, may be the replacement speaker, which was chosen purely on size. I'll try another. Touching SW aerial wire STILL kills LO. That's a mystery. I don't think it's even connected on LW & MW.
Really I was ready to just have this for "display" and rob the valves and audio transformer. I'm surprised I've got life now on LW (the earlier MW was very faint at full volume on really strong stations). Next time I'll see about SW and MW as well as adjusting the IFT a bit.
The high resistors where even higher out of circuit, so most replaced. It's certainly not the quality of a Pye or Philips.
Assembled and a dead short on the HT to OV. It was the untouched primary wire of the IFT I'd worked at. Corroded and a whisker touching can. It snapped there so retinned and resoldered to cap track, put thick PVC tape. Replaced an eyelet style ribbon on can to lug. Remounted. BBC R4 LW loud. RTE R1 LW weaker, so alignment.
The detector / secondary of IFT doesn't quite peak, so I'll take that out and check it more exactly, take some turns off.
Audio quality isn't great, may be the replacement speaker, which was chosen purely on size. I'll try another. Touching SW aerial wire STILL kills LO. That's a mystery. I don't think it's even connected on LW & MW.
Really I was ready to just have this for "display" and rob the valves and audio transformer. I'm surprised I've got life now on LW (the earlier MW was very faint at full volume on really strong stations). Next time I'll see about SW and MW as well as adjusting the IFT a bit.
The high resistors where even higher out of circuit, so most replaced. It's certainly not the quality of a Pye or Philips.







