30-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes - apologies for my tardiness in getting back to you all.
Jeffrey, although I don't think we met at Berkhamsted last year, I know of your presence there as I heard one visitor had a 405- to 625-line converter! Would love to come and visit you with the 405-line recordings and replay machine when it is possible to do so. All the 405 material is converted from 625 - no rare or missing material: just wanted to see what sort of results Frank's Hedghog II might give converting, say, a 405-line Shibaden recording to 625. Had also wondered if the converter might be able to handle the jittery 'demod out' signal of a 405-line 2-inch quad recording replayed on an Ampex AVR2 machine!
I tried a couple of other experiments with Frank's 405- to 625-line converter: taking signals directly from the other Aurora converters that I have, I tried giving it a 441-line (50 Hz) input, which gave a scrambled picture (not surprisingly, as it was never designed to convert 441 lines).
I also tried 819-line video signal (I have the Belgian system 'F' Aurora converter to provide this): the results to this were somewhat akin to displaying a 819-line signal on a 405 set, with two laterally-compressed images side-by-side on the conversion. However, the converted pictures were slowly frame-rolling. Good luck with your future converter developments Frank.
Thank you Peter for your links to the PC software. I'm afraid I am very much an 'operational only' sort of person in terms of experience, but marvel as the electronics and software programming abilities of the forum members, and am a very grateful beneficiary of the fruits of all your labours!
Best wishes to all,
Francis
Jeffrey, although I don't think we met at Berkhamsted last year, I know of your presence there as I heard one visitor had a 405- to 625-line converter! Would love to come and visit you with the 405-line recordings and replay machine when it is possible to do so. All the 405 material is converted from 625 - no rare or missing material: just wanted to see what sort of results Frank's Hedghog II might give converting, say, a 405-line Shibaden recording to 625. Had also wondered if the converter might be able to handle the jittery 'demod out' signal of a 405-line 2-inch quad recording replayed on an Ampex AVR2 machine!
I tried a couple of other experiments with Frank's 405- to 625-line converter: taking signals directly from the other Aurora converters that I have, I tried giving it a 441-line (50 Hz) input, which gave a scrambled picture (not surprisingly, as it was never designed to convert 441 lines).
I also tried 819-line video signal (I have the Belgian system 'F' Aurora converter to provide this): the results to this were somewhat akin to displaying a 819-line signal on a 405 set, with two laterally-compressed images side-by-side on the conversion. However, the converted pictures were slowly frame-rolling. Good luck with your future converter developments Frank.
Thank you Peter for your links to the PC software. I'm afraid I am very much an 'operational only' sort of person in terms of experience, but marvel as the electronics and software programming abilities of the forum members, and am a very grateful beneficiary of the fruits of all your labours!
Best wishes to all,
Francis
Francis Niemczyk







