21-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Without a known good set of valves it's hard to compare performance.
The K is much better than the Lissen version of the 5214 I have. But I think it has it's original 1939 valves.
The K is better than the C/E or C/A I have. I have three different case styles of K.
However all of these sets are very good on selectivity. Much better than transistor sets with two IF transistors and valve models with very small IFTs. The IFTs are superb Q. The air cored IFTs tuned with mica caps in some early sets maybe be slightly better than some dust iron core tuned IFTs in theory, but I don't know if true. They are probably better than the simple cheap "ceramic capacitor sized" monolithic ceramic IF filters as they have spurious responses. You'll note that professional radios use a pair of IFTs to better match the ceramic filters and give better out of band rejection.
Also running on battery reduces the mains interference. The loops are a better size, more signal and Q, than the flat coils in the lids of attache models, they outperform a decent ferrite rod, whereas the attache sets with a ferrite rod outperform similar ones with the flat coil. The worst are the "personal" sets of 1941 an later (USA) and in UK the UK from 1947, the aerial loops are too small and the IFTs are small and poorer. I've a Romac, but I can't get it working, it's unusual as it uses a loop aerial in the carrying strap. It also is lacking a proper dual tuned 1st IFT.
So generally all the Ever Ready dry battery valve superhets with full size loop aerials from 1939 (includes Sky Queen, Sky King, Jester, Sky Prince, Sky Lord, A, D, G, K, T and maybe the C, C/A C/E, N, N and N3) perform very well.
I've a some valve Philips battery sets that are better (World, Annette, Colette) and a better Pye set (the World model).
My Model A is seriously lacking in volume compared to the 1939 Lissen. I'm sure that's valves.
I've some good Vidors and a McMichael as well as a Roberts all in upright style with the large loop aerials. They also work well. Most are Octal.
The K is much better than the Lissen version of the 5214 I have. But I think it has it's original 1939 valves.
The K is better than the C/E or C/A I have. I have three different case styles of K.
However all of these sets are very good on selectivity. Much better than transistor sets with two IF transistors and valve models with very small IFTs. The IFTs are superb Q. The air cored IFTs tuned with mica caps in some early sets maybe be slightly better than some dust iron core tuned IFTs in theory, but I don't know if true. They are probably better than the simple cheap "ceramic capacitor sized" monolithic ceramic IF filters as they have spurious responses. You'll note that professional radios use a pair of IFTs to better match the ceramic filters and give better out of band rejection.
Also running on battery reduces the mains interference. The loops are a better size, more signal and Q, than the flat coils in the lids of attache models, they outperform a decent ferrite rod, whereas the attache sets with a ferrite rod outperform similar ones with the flat coil. The worst are the "personal" sets of 1941 an later (USA) and in UK the UK from 1947, the aerial loops are too small and the IFTs are small and poorer. I've a Romac, but I can't get it working, it's unusual as it uses a loop aerial in the carrying strap. It also is lacking a proper dual tuned 1st IFT.
So generally all the Ever Ready dry battery valve superhets with full size loop aerials from 1939 (includes Sky Queen, Sky King, Jester, Sky Prince, Sky Lord, A, D, G, K, T and maybe the C, C/A C/E, N, N and N3) perform very well.
I've a some valve Philips battery sets that are better (World, Annette, Colette) and a better Pye set (the World model).
My Model A is seriously lacking in volume compared to the 1939 Lissen. I'm sure that's valves.
I've some good Vidors and a McMichael as well as a Roberts all in upright style with the large loop aerials. They also work well. Most are Octal.







