16-06-2020, 07:31 PM
Hi Mike.
Thanks so much for taking the time.
Yes this is the same set that Peter has mentioned on VRRR for me
I've read through your very thorough posts! Looking closer at the chassis I think I can see where the open rivets, (like eyelets), were spread. Some of the wires to the valve holders are connected into a solder toggle, then via a short wire to the tag, it suggests that you're correct about the modifications.
The tuning capacitor seems the correct value as does the LW coil, the MW coil reads 180uH. However 1370KHz ish, is the against the stop maximum on MW, at the moment
The sets were built to tune up to 180 metres ?
The LO trimmer is screwed right out, but it is checked as running at @ 1820KHz, IF is correctly aligned.
I'm thinking....
1. Ultimately MW loop needs a redo....
2. I need to find out why LO is running low.
I will start with your suggestions of checking around the LO switching....
I may use dads Taylor SIG gen for alignment, its calibration is very accurate, and its period compatible !
We are luck enough to be able to receive RTE on longwave here, with a reasonable signal, we like a lot of the programming, and its good that they have decided to continue for the time being, (mum is second generation ex pat).
I have two other ER radios, a case less late. K chassis, and a sky leader (later PCB version) transistor set.
Thanks very much for the help. I will keep you posted on how this progresses.
Amie
Thanks so much for taking the time.
Yes this is the same set that Peter has mentioned on VRRR for me

I've read through your very thorough posts! Looking closer at the chassis I think I can see where the open rivets, (like eyelets), were spread. Some of the wires to the valve holders are connected into a solder toggle, then via a short wire to the tag, it suggests that you're correct about the modifications.
The tuning capacitor seems the correct value as does the LW coil, the MW coil reads 180uH. However 1370KHz ish, is the against the stop maximum on MW, at the moment
The sets were built to tune up to 180 metres ?
The LO trimmer is screwed right out, but it is checked as running at @ 1820KHz, IF is correctly aligned.
I'm thinking....
1. Ultimately MW loop needs a redo....
2. I need to find out why LO is running low.
I will start with your suggestions of checking around the LO switching....
I may use dads Taylor SIG gen for alignment, its calibration is very accurate, and its period compatible !
We are luck enough to be able to receive RTE on longwave here, with a reasonable signal, we like a lot of the programming, and its good that they have decided to continue for the time being, (mum is second generation ex pat).
I have two other ER radios, a case less late. K chassis, and a sky leader (later PCB version) transistor set.
Thanks very much for the help. I will keep you posted on how this progresses.
Amie






