11-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Peter, you were not alone
Or has the colloquial meaning of "clap" rather slipped out (of use)? I'm now trying to steer this thread away from schoolboy sniggering. That last word must be typed with care. Jack de Manio's memory lives on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_de_Manio
What we now call MRI scans used to be NMR scans. But the N word (the acceptable one) was judged too scary.
As for BBC vs B.B.C. I looked in a couple of (paper) yearbooks. In 1933 the dots were there, in 1946 they weren't. To stop or not to stop, that is the question. Vast amounts of ink have been spilled on this. Modern UK usage tends away from using full stops. The USA may be more resistant. I think the BBC was ahead of prevailing opinion on this question.
I googled "full stops in abbreviations" and got lots of differing opinions. Here's a style guide from academia where I learned that when writing dates such as 43AD or 400BCE the AD or BCE should be in small capitals if possible. In academic writing, unless it's specifically about christian matters, I thought that CE/BCE were now standard and that BC/AD were deprecated.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punc...dabbr/abbr
Would many of us write Mr. Jones these days? I certainly wouldn't, preferring Mr Jones.
33 Acacia Avenue,
London,
NW9.
or
33 Acacia Avenue
London
NW9
Always the latter for me. Royal Mail agrees with me: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/...ressing%29
Or has the colloquial meaning of "clap" rather slipped out (of use)? I'm now trying to steer this thread away from schoolboy sniggering. That last word must be typed with care. Jack de Manio's memory lives on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_de_ManioWhat we now call MRI scans used to be NMR scans. But the N word (the acceptable one) was judged too scary.
As for BBC vs B.B.C. I looked in a couple of (paper) yearbooks. In 1933 the dots were there, in 1946 they weren't. To stop or not to stop, that is the question. Vast amounts of ink have been spilled on this. Modern UK usage tends away from using full stops. The USA may be more resistant. I think the BBC was ahead of prevailing opinion on this question.
I googled "full stops in abbreviations" and got lots of differing opinions. Here's a style guide from academia where I learned that when writing dates such as 43AD or 400BCE the AD or BCE should be in small capitals if possible. In academic writing, unless it's specifically about christian matters, I thought that CE/BCE were now standard and that BC/AD were deprecated.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punc...dabbr/abbr
Would many of us write Mr. Jones these days? I certainly wouldn't, preferring Mr Jones.
33 Acacia Avenue,
London,
NW9.
or
33 Acacia Avenue
London
NW9
Always the latter for me. Royal Mail agrees with me: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/...ressing%29
www.borinsky.co.uk Jeffrey Borinsky www.becg.tv







