29-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Taking advice on board, I checked the HT voltages, all a bit low. Rectifier is not too bad, I am reluctant to use solid state diodes anyway due to the instant high HT that they give.
There are 3 smoothing resistors, first was within 20%, second and third outside spec. I have shunted them back to what is probably much nearer to the desired value than the originals were, the HT is better.
The eye still opens and closes the same amount and I can't see how to get the designed maximum grid voltage swing of 22v on the AGC line to give complete range. Taking Mike's description it is probably as designed, i.e. two thirds lit with no signal and closing to almost completely lit with around 3v AGC.
Difficult to describe accurately, I am saying eye open when not lit, eye closed when completely green lit. That is probably logically backwards!
It is a little brighter though. Reception is just the same, a little insensitive on the top frequencies of the medium wave as to be expected with a poor aerial and small transmitters.
I was going to do something with the cabinet but its cold and wet today and I have had 2 duff Karcher power washes dumped on me for repairs, the workshop is badly crowded too. Really must part with some sets, there are over 100 in there now.
There are 3 smoothing resistors, first was within 20%, second and third outside spec. I have shunted them back to what is probably much nearer to the desired value than the originals were, the HT is better.
The eye still opens and closes the same amount and I can't see how to get the designed maximum grid voltage swing of 22v on the AGC line to give complete range. Taking Mike's description it is probably as designed, i.e. two thirds lit with no signal and closing to almost completely lit with around 3v AGC.
Difficult to describe accurately, I am saying eye open when not lit, eye closed when completely green lit. That is probably logically backwards!
It is a little brighter though. Reception is just the same, a little insensitive on the top frequencies of the medium wave as to be expected with a poor aerial and small transmitters.
I was going to do something with the cabinet but its cold and wet today and I have had 2 duff Karcher power washes dumped on me for repairs, the workshop is badly crowded too. Really must part with some sets, there are over 100 in there now.
Boater Sam.







