10-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Remembering a conversation with dad.
When I once asked why he was replacing so many resistors in one of his last restoration projects, his answer was that although the guts of the Pam TV he was working on was in near pristine condition, it had been stored unused most of its life, and that compo resistors would drift in value more than if ran at near full ratings. He wasn't just doing it fort the sake of it either, some were factors out
The output transistors 2R2 1/2W composition emitter resistors in a little practice amplifier I repaired recently one had turned to charcoal the other O/C, so I replaced them with 1/2W carbon film types that failed almost immediately, every day a school day
Thanks,
Amie.
When I once asked why he was replacing so many resistors in one of his last restoration projects, his answer was that although the guts of the Pam TV he was working on was in near pristine condition, it had been stored unused most of its life, and that compo resistors would drift in value more than if ran at near full ratings. He wasn't just doing it fort the sake of it either, some were factors out

The output transistors 2R2 1/2W composition emitter resistors in a little practice amplifier I repaired recently one had turned to charcoal the other O/C, so I replaced them with 1/2W carbon film types that failed almost immediately, every day a school day

Thanks,
Amie.






