(16-08-2019, 09:02 PM)Terry Wrote: No, no no Amie!Thanks for your concern Terry. The unit has stopped a few people, including dad and me from getting a nasty nip.
If you read the following, and still have any concerns about its safety let me know, I'd love to be around for another birthday!
The unit is separately earthed (and that is switchable) , ie.to a separate stake, (outside the workshop, 20metres from the house supply) and has indication of earth/float, float is for safe test connection. After the earth, that gives the local neutral, there is an RCBO, if anyone is forgetful, with probes, fingers, or solder irons, the RCBO drops out, with the earth switched out there is AV indication. THAT is the most likely way to "get a belt" as the RCBO will possibly take longer to trip, or not at all if the victim is insulated from earth but connect themselves across the output. The unit was built to self test at switch on.
Best advice I think I've heard from longtime survivors of the electrical engineering field is keeping one hand in the pocket.
Oh, not that it makes much difference, but my favorite soldering iron is powered by gas
Think the story on the set was that it belonged to an ex services guy who brought it back from Germany. So yeah its been run 20 or 30volts over design for at least part of its life. I guess I need to find the working current at 220v then work out a suitable resistance from there?
Thanks,
Amie






