20-02-2019, 04:21 PM
(20-02-2019, 03:59 PM)pwdrive Wrote: ... the cathode of one of the full wave rectifiers ...
But what is very clear in Lynton's picture is that there is only one common cathode terminal - which makes obvious sense for a bi-phase rectifier - and it can also be seen in the edge on view (picture 4) in the UKVRRR thread. I can accept, though, that the other two tags are a completely isolated protection diode, in case one of the bi-phase pair develops a short although I would have thought that the terrible hum that would result the instant the set was turned on would warn the user/owner to switch it off again pronto!
I don't think the idea of an integral - but completely separate - protection diode would ever have occurred to me, Lawrence, but, with the evidence of an earth wire and the connecting point of the fifth wire it all makes sense at last!






