17-01-2019, 01:54 PM
I've just taken a look at range of speakers...
Mostly they didn't have braided strands - just twisted - but upon close inspection under a x10 loupe, the individual strands are definitely tinsel wire.
There was one exception - a very small "transistor radio" type - which appeared to use regular copper wires for the strands, but you could just about see that they were braided around a nylon cord. This speaker has hardly any cone movement, unlike the "quality" drive units that I'd also examined, so I guess that's fair enough.
Out of interest, I might have a go at soldering one later...
Mostly they didn't have braided strands - just twisted - but upon close inspection under a x10 loupe, the individual strands are definitely tinsel wire.
There was one exception - a very small "transistor radio" type - which appeared to use regular copper wires for the strands, but you could just about see that they were braided around a nylon cord. This speaker has hardly any cone movement, unlike the "quality" drive units that I'd also examined, so I guess that's fair enough.
Out of interest, I might have a go at soldering one later...







