26-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Hi David.
Well accidents will always happen, usually on an expensive item or with a less than understanding customer.
As an ex B&O dealer myself along with John in Audio Vision Services I will say that a lot of B&O customers are indeed awkward.
The snag with B&O stuff is that in reality it is no better than the better stuff we all know, it is hyped up as top quality. Take some of the Hi-Fi of 25 or 30 years ago, they would use a Philips CD mech and board, the CD104 was found in much of their Audio stuff, the auto reverse cassette deck was Japanese, all housed in a fancy cabinet with touch controls via the glass!!!
Latterly B&O wanted us to spend a minimum of £250,000 per annum, totally unreasonable as we were a service only dealer. Electronic parts were freely available up to 10 years and occasionally more on some product but cosmetic parts were impossible after 5-7 years.
We all know that they used the Thomson ICC5 chassis so to my mind any manufacturer using that piece of junk is very suspect.
The problem you have David will be the customers reaction, I know you will be up front with the customer and explain what happened, all you can do is to offer that you will attempt to obtain a replacement glass, Id also not get involved with a repair on it. They are awkward to service and parts from B&O will have been exhausted anyway.
I'd not have taken it in for repair TBH, a total waste of time IMHO.
Anyway I thought you were shutting the shop.............. Oh that was in 2006 if I'm not mistaken.
Well accidents will always happen, usually on an expensive item or with a less than understanding customer.
As an ex B&O dealer myself along with John in Audio Vision Services I will say that a lot of B&O customers are indeed awkward.
The snag with B&O stuff is that in reality it is no better than the better stuff we all know, it is hyped up as top quality. Take some of the Hi-Fi of 25 or 30 years ago, they would use a Philips CD mech and board, the CD104 was found in much of their Audio stuff, the auto reverse cassette deck was Japanese, all housed in a fancy cabinet with touch controls via the glass!!!
Latterly B&O wanted us to spend a minimum of £250,000 per annum, totally unreasonable as we were a service only dealer. Electronic parts were freely available up to 10 years and occasionally more on some product but cosmetic parts were impossible after 5-7 years.
We all know that they used the Thomson ICC5 chassis so to my mind any manufacturer using that piece of junk is very suspect.
The problem you have David will be the customers reaction, I know you will be up front with the customer and explain what happened, all you can do is to offer that you will attempt to obtain a replacement glass, Id also not get involved with a repair on it. They are awkward to service and parts from B&O will have been exhausted anyway.
I'd not have taken it in for repair TBH, a total waste of time IMHO.
Anyway I thought you were shutting the shop.............. Oh that was in 2006 if I'm not mistaken.






