04-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Yes, I can well believe that!
Since 1993 I've been lucky enough to have had new cars - and all have had built-in radios. Current car's ICE is massively integrated into everything else - parking bleepers through left or right speakers, according to which side is getting close; the sat nav; the controls on both the steering wheel and the central touch-screen; etc etc!
Until 1993 I was using a car at the other end of the spectrum - 1962 Morris Minor which was just before the era of the standard fascia slot. If you wanted a radio you fitted brackets below the dashboard. (I just left mine on the sub-dash parcel shelf - a hybrid Philips, positive earth like the car - and very good it was too).
At least there's no longer the incentive to put a brick through the window to rip out the radio.
Shops like Halfords no longer have displays of radios, cassette or CD players, and speakers, to fit the standard letterbox opening, because there just isn't one! And the market for such equipment for older cars without radios as standards has been saturated, such cars are largely heading for the scrapyard.
Since 1993 I've been lucky enough to have had new cars - and all have had built-in radios. Current car's ICE is massively integrated into everything else - parking bleepers through left or right speakers, according to which side is getting close; the sat nav; the controls on both the steering wheel and the central touch-screen; etc etc!
Until 1993 I was using a car at the other end of the spectrum - 1962 Morris Minor which was just before the era of the standard fascia slot. If you wanted a radio you fitted brackets below the dashboard. (I just left mine on the sub-dash parcel shelf - a hybrid Philips, positive earth like the car - and very good it was too).
At least there's no longer the incentive to put a brick through the window to rip out the radio.
Shops like Halfords no longer have displays of radios, cassette or CD players, and speakers, to fit the standard letterbox opening, because there just isn't one! And the market for such equipment for older cars without radios as standards has been saturated, such cars are largely heading for the scrapyard.







