22-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Hi all. Once again, many, many thanks for you all on this site and VintageRadios for all the help.
Update:
I am no further forward.
1"David Potter:
One question.
Is the AM oscillator actually oscillating?
One simple method is to place the radio under test, near to another working radio, tuned to a medium to weak station up the high end of the band, 1.2 meg and above. Tune the test radio lower down the band to see if you can pick up the oscillator of the test radio on the working radio, (you will soon know if you find it).
You can practise with two working radios first. Tune slowly as it will be very narrow."
I couldn't find any signs of the pick-up from the oscillator in a working radio.
2. Voltages on the collectors of Tr1 to 4
There are no voltages (!) except on TR1 (On another board) where it reads 1.27V
3.The HT line on the 502 board should read 9V. It reads 2.23V
I thus thought that the switches must be at fault, but shorting the pins on the pcb made no difference.
I haven't yet tested the 'dropping' resistor R13 but if this were faulty then why do I get a voltage on the collector of TR1 (via R3)?
I can't see how board 502 gets its +ve supply from.
A tell-tale sign may well be that the whole set is slow to warm-up ( perhaps 30 secs or so) - even on FM (which works well)
Thanks,
Richard.
Update:
I am no further forward.
1"David Potter:
One question.
Is the AM oscillator actually oscillating?
One simple method is to place the radio under test, near to another working radio, tuned to a medium to weak station up the high end of the band, 1.2 meg and above. Tune the test radio lower down the band to see if you can pick up the oscillator of the test radio on the working radio, (you will soon know if you find it).
You can practise with two working radios first. Tune slowly as it will be very narrow."
I couldn't find any signs of the pick-up from the oscillator in a working radio.
2. Voltages on the collectors of Tr1 to 4
There are no voltages (!) except on TR1 (On another board) where it reads 1.27V
3.The HT line on the 502 board should read 9V. It reads 2.23V
I thus thought that the switches must be at fault, but shorting the pins on the pcb made no difference.
I haven't yet tested the 'dropping' resistor R13 but if this were faulty then why do I get a voltage on the collector of TR1 (via R3)?
I can't see how board 502 gets its +ve supply from.
A tell-tale sign may well be that the whole set is slow to warm-up ( perhaps 30 secs or so) - even on FM (which works well)
Thanks,
Richard.







