10-07-2017, 04:13 AM
(09-07-2017, 09:05 PM)Nowhere-Man Wrote: I have an Ultra which is mid 1940's. It almost set on fire when I tested it but I killed the mains rapidly. After that I worked on it and cleaned it up as well. It then played OK and was one of my successes. Sadly a 1938 Halcyon I had worked on would not draw filament current and so I never applied HT. And I fear the Cossor valves would be costly. Thus my oldest set is 1940's and picks up stations very well. I don't know how many American Five sets are to be found in the UK but I always admired the design and the dials. Some are small enough to pass as transistorised.
I searched for so data on the tubes in the set and found a replacement output tube listed for twice what I paid for the radio!?!
Fair Radio has added the set to their inventory and I can buy a new radio cheaper than the replacement tube? If it dies I guess I can by another and use it for spare parts.







