09-07-2017, 02:25 PM
I've long admired the All American Five as an example of US effective and economical design. Compared with British sets of a similar period, it's so much neater and lighter in weight. In fact When I used to travel to the US on business, I brought back several examples in my hand baggage. I fear though that today's airport security regime would throw a wobbly if I tried it now!
My examples carry evocative brand names like Westinghouse, RCA, Emerson, Zenith and even Hallicrafters. All have pretty similar circuits and work well on their intended 115V supply, so no line cord or dropper problems. Even the live chassis is less risky than on a 230V supply.
Interestingly, all work well on a few feet of wire as an aerial. I guess they were designed that way, much like a car radio. Sensible when compared with the common U.K. requirement of a 50-foot external wire. I get the impression too that the US sets typically incorporate a little beneficial positive feedback round the IF stage, whether intentional or accidental due to the compact layout. Either way, it helps both gain and selectivity.
They're nice examples of US post-war affluence, when a household there could afford several sets, whereas the British family made do with extension speakers.
Martin
My examples carry evocative brand names like Westinghouse, RCA, Emerson, Zenith and even Hallicrafters. All have pretty similar circuits and work well on their intended 115V supply, so no line cord or dropper problems. Even the live chassis is less risky than on a 230V supply.
Interestingly, all work well on a few feet of wire as an aerial. I guess they were designed that way, much like a car radio. Sensible when compared with the common U.K. requirement of a 50-foot external wire. I get the impression too that the US sets typically incorporate a little beneficial positive feedback round the IF stage, whether intentional or accidental due to the compact layout. Either way, it helps both gain and selectivity.
They're nice examples of US post-war affluence, when a household there could afford several sets, whereas the British family made do with extension speakers.
Martin
BVWS Member







