07-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Terry Wrote:Your original comment about being in central Norfolk had me confused as it conflicts with your 'near Kings Lynn' location - I would describe Swaffham (and Kings Lynn) as north-west Norfolk!
Yes, I should really change that! "near Kings Lynn" is nearest large town, and secondly the Dereham/Swaffham/Fakenham triangle is known locally as the centre of Norfolk, though Dereham which is 12 miles from us is probably closest to geographic centre.
Terry Wrote:So, Postwick is most definitely not your first choice for Absolute. What is Boston on 1242kHz like? After all, the list I posted does claim it covers Kings Lynn.
Again, the local transmitter for Talksport is Boston (1107kHz). What is that like? Admittedly it is only 1kW, though
With a massive 400kW, Brookmans Park (1089kHz) might be worth trying. Moorside Edge - also 400kW - might be a problem but being on an entirely different bearing, it should be possible to null it out if you are using a ferrite rod aerial.
Actually in this location, its the Droitwich transmitter that appears marginally the stronger, after nightfall,...I can null either but because Postwick is east and Droitwich is southwest but only off line by 25° or so, to get rid of one by nulling its signal, you loose most of the other as well.
Terry Wrote:On a slightly different topic, concerning power and distance, when I was camping with the scouts at Anzio in 1964, the only UK transmitter I could receive there was Radio Caroline North!
Only 10kW, but I imagine the Irish Sea made a good ground reflector. I used to tune in to Murph the Surf's Midnight Surf Party after Radio Prague closed down. About 1250 miles from the Isle of Man, I estimated at the time
On the subject of the IOM, I can rely on the Manx radio signal to show up loud and clear in the evenings on my "sentimental value" daily burner Ekco U353, and not that I've listened for over a year now but RTE on longwave was steady too. A favorite leisure listen is BBC R Scotland, though I have to use a shielded RDF loop for that as it is on a 180° with a powerful Iberian (Spanish?) station, good signal though, in fact we hear most of the output from Westerglen (?) at one time or another. It seems that as we live in a hole, (take from that what you will!), often the skywaves bring in some interesting migrants.
Andy.
PS. Sorry Terry, but the links in your last post to the old Radio TV forum (?) Did not load for me






