27-05-2017, 10:53 AM
I think I first used Bresenham's Algorithm in about 1983 when working for DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) in the USA & Canada (the job was a custom system for BP) - I read about it in Foley & van Dam's classic work, Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics - a classic in it's day and still highly popular - I was designing bespoke ECL (bit slice) graphics accelerators (*) for the visualization of geophysical logging data. Fun times. It's a successive approximate scheme that works as well on a pixilated screen as it did on the original plotter it was designed for back in the '60s.
Since it's inception, Bresenham's algorithm has been applied to a whole host of applications - it's simple, fast and flexible.
(*) My thesis was on the design & implementation of bit-sliced processors based around the AMD 2900 series of chips - these were also used by DEC in the PDP 11 series of highly popular minicomputers, hence them offering me a job. I was also offered a job by IBM as I had won that year's UK Undergraduate prize, but I couldn't stand the white shirts and blue suits that everyone wore at the IBM Hursley research site... DEC was for more relaxed...
Since it's inception, Bresenham's algorithm has been applied to a whole host of applications - it's simple, fast and flexible.
(*) My thesis was on the design & implementation of bit-sliced processors based around the AMD 2900 series of chips - these were also used by DEC in the PDP 11 series of highly popular minicomputers, hence them offering me a job. I was also offered a job by IBM as I had won that year's UK Undergraduate prize, but I couldn't stand the white shirts and blue suits that everyone wore at the IBM Hursley research site... DEC was for more relaxed...
sıʌǝɹq ɐʇıʌ `ɐƃuol sɹɐ
ʞɔıu
ʞɔıu







