19-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Oh dear my last post was very badly worded.
What I was trying to say was that the common emitter configuration has both voltage and current gain either of which can be stabilised by the appropriate feedback, whereas the common collector/emitter follower configuration intrinsically has 100% voltage feedback and the common base configuration intrinsically has 100% current feedback.
On reflection, although I think of a bipolar transistor as fundamentally current driven, I have no problems in treating it as a 'black box' and using whichever model suits my purpose on a case by case basis.
Jim
What I was trying to say was that the common emitter configuration has both voltage and current gain either of which can be stabilised by the appropriate feedback, whereas the common collector/emitter follower configuration intrinsically has 100% voltage feedback and the common base configuration intrinsically has 100% current feedback.
On reflection, although I think of a bipolar transistor as fundamentally current driven, I have no problems in treating it as a 'black box' and using whichever model suits my purpose on a case by case basis.
Jim







