14-03-2017, 01:06 PM
(14-03-2017, 12:29 PM)ppppenguin Wrote: . I feel I ought to eject or unmount before unplugging but can't see an obvious way to do it.
You really should Eject before unplugging, as this ensure any write caches are flushed.
Right-click on the drive letter in Explorer - Eject is one of the menu options.
HOWEVER ....
In Windows 7, the write cache is disabled by default for most MSDs (USB drives) so you don't have to use Eject...
To see/change this behavior, go to Device Manager (Windows+X, then click "Device Manager") - find the drive you just plugged in (under "Disk drives"), right-clock on the entry and select "Properties".
On the properties page, select the "Policies" tab - "Quick removal" should be selected by default - note that for fixed drives (normally SATA), write caching is ENABLED by default, so I would check your removable SATA drive when it's plugged in to see what Device Manager reports the caching status as.
If the write cache is ON, I would use the "Safely remove device" icon on the task bar, or use "Eject" as previously discussed.
sıʌǝɹq ɐʇıʌ `ɐƃuol sɹɐ
ʞɔıu
ʞɔıu







