27-02-2017, 07:37 AM
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2017, 07:38 AM by ppppenguin.)
Please excuse typos on OP. Was using a phone to make the post.
I haven't looked inside the fitting. I know it's decades old and scheduled for replacement later this year in a refurbishment. For now it will have to stay on a non RCD circuit.
Still don't understand how an earh leakage fault is happening. Unless insulation in the choke or elsewhere is failing during the starting peak voltage. What sort of voltage is generated when the starter opens?
I did once have a fright when turning off a fluorescent. There was a flash and loud bang, big spark at the switch and blackening on the outside of the switch where my finger had been. The best guess was that switching off the current causes a high voltage across the choke whose insulation broke down. This also jumped the gap in the switch and put a short across the mains. Still surprised that a 6A circuit could give such a loud bang.
I haven't looked inside the fitting. I know it's decades old and scheduled for replacement later this year in a refurbishment. For now it will have to stay on a non RCD circuit.
Still don't understand how an earh leakage fault is happening. Unless insulation in the choke or elsewhere is failing during the starting peak voltage. What sort of voltage is generated when the starter opens?
I did once have a fright when turning off a fluorescent. There was a flash and loud bang, big spark at the switch and blackening on the outside of the switch where my finger had been. The best guess was that switching off the current causes a high voltage across the choke whose insulation broke down. This also jumped the gap in the switch and put a short across the mains. Still surprised that a 6A circuit could give such a loud bang.
www.borinsky.co.uk Jeffrey Borinsky www.becg.tv







