27-12-2016, 07:28 AM
Nice work Dave and good thinking.
Whilst were on the subject why do test leads cost so much? All they are is a shrouded banana jack, bit of 1000v rated wire and a pointy bit of metal wrapped in plastic. I know there's a little bit more to it than that as they have to be low resistance, but come on, 60 &*^%$*& quid!
The tip's are never hardened and tempered too, or Dave wouldn't have had to keep re sharpening his. When I resharpened mine I did em on a bench grinder and got them hot till they went blue, quenched them in oil, now the're nice and hard and really sharp. I dropped one last week and it stuck in my foot, well sharp. : )
I've made a few pairs of my own using a 4mm to 4mm banana lead , cable PTFE HV cable, nice and flexible and a range of of probe's, croc clips etc can be attached on the end's.
Andy.
Whilst were on the subject why do test leads cost so much? All they are is a shrouded banana jack, bit of 1000v rated wire and a pointy bit of metal wrapped in plastic. I know there's a little bit more to it than that as they have to be low resistance, but come on, 60 &*^%$*& quid!
The tip's are never hardened and tempered too, or Dave wouldn't have had to keep re sharpening his. When I resharpened mine I did em on a bench grinder and got them hot till they went blue, quenched them in oil, now the're nice and hard and really sharp. I dropped one last week and it stuck in my foot, well sharp. : )
I've made a few pairs of my own using a 4mm to 4mm banana lead , cable PTFE HV cable, nice and flexible and a range of of probe's, croc clips etc can be attached on the end's.
Andy.







