17-12-2016, 09:37 AM
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2016, 09:55 AM by Murphyv310.)
Thanks Andy.
Your post made me chuckle, the funny thing the way the seats could be manoeuvred would give you a very comfortable bed so long as you weren't a giant! the back seat squab could be raised up acting as a pillow as there was a hinged tube you turned and it located into a recess in the squab to raise it at the back.
Funnily enough there was a good bit of storage space available under the back nearside seat for all sorts of stuff, also well hidden too, the off side contained the heater matrix and its airbox, the air was then piped down the central box section that also carried the gear selector shaft, throttle cable and hand brake cables, a very clever way of using space and keeping these cables dry and rust free. Then there was the space behind the back seat rests, these could also be folded down to make a space like a small van plus they were split.
In my early days I had some very dubious cars, that really could be called bangers. I replaced a Commer Imp Van with the 1000MB. The Imp was forever giving me trouble and on my way to British Relay one morning the brakes went to the floor, I got to work OK with the hand brake and gears but it was the last straw.
Dad had bought a Moskvitch 427 from a dealer a few months previous and he suggested to go to the same place. I did, I had £250 to spend tops and saw this little MB sitting in the corner, now the chap in garage could see I was reasonably knowledgable about cars and said that it would be reliable and not to listen to all the rubbish that was said about them. Anyway I got the car for £200, it was 4 years old and got a fresh MOT. Not only that he gave be a huge box of brand new spares, Brake shoes, points, plugs, half a dozen oil filters, air filters, top hoses (they tended to split) and other useful bits and bobs and to cap it all asked me if I fancied a job on a Sunday working in the workshop.
I jumped at the offer and worked for him for about 5 years. I also had the pleasure of helping out with some rallies and meeting John Haugland and getting driven by him in the legendary 130RS.
The MB was brilliant I have very little problems with it, I wish I never sold it and another I bought (1100MB) was the same. I moved onto just about every model they had up to 1997 a Felicia. In between I had S100, S110L, S110R, 105S, 120L, 120LS (3) 120LSE, 135Ric & Favorits (2)
The Skoda Club was a great club, you got a quarterly magazine and also a monthly mag from Czechoslovakia (Czechoslovak Motor Review) All of these got thrown out by my difficult mother when I met my my wife, along with records and my mint Murphy V430, a signed Band on the Run LP too, boy was I furious.
Anyway I certainly enjoyed my motoring with Skoda, entertaining at times but I certainly got loads of followers too.
Your post made me chuckle, the funny thing the way the seats could be manoeuvred would give you a very comfortable bed so long as you weren't a giant! the back seat squab could be raised up acting as a pillow as there was a hinged tube you turned and it located into a recess in the squab to raise it at the back.
Funnily enough there was a good bit of storage space available under the back nearside seat for all sorts of stuff, also well hidden too, the off side contained the heater matrix and its airbox, the air was then piped down the central box section that also carried the gear selector shaft, throttle cable and hand brake cables, a very clever way of using space and keeping these cables dry and rust free. Then there was the space behind the back seat rests, these could also be folded down to make a space like a small van plus they were split.
In my early days I had some very dubious cars, that really could be called bangers. I replaced a Commer Imp Van with the 1000MB. The Imp was forever giving me trouble and on my way to British Relay one morning the brakes went to the floor, I got to work OK with the hand brake and gears but it was the last straw.
Dad had bought a Moskvitch 427 from a dealer a few months previous and he suggested to go to the same place. I did, I had £250 to spend tops and saw this little MB sitting in the corner, now the chap in garage could see I was reasonably knowledgable about cars and said that it would be reliable and not to listen to all the rubbish that was said about them. Anyway I got the car for £200, it was 4 years old and got a fresh MOT. Not only that he gave be a huge box of brand new spares, Brake shoes, points, plugs, half a dozen oil filters, air filters, top hoses (they tended to split) and other useful bits and bobs and to cap it all asked me if I fancied a job on a Sunday working in the workshop.
I jumped at the offer and worked for him for about 5 years. I also had the pleasure of helping out with some rallies and meeting John Haugland and getting driven by him in the legendary 130RS.
The MB was brilliant I have very little problems with it, I wish I never sold it and another I bought (1100MB) was the same. I moved onto just about every model they had up to 1997 a Felicia. In between I had S100, S110L, S110R, 105S, 120L, 120LS (3) 120LSE, 135Ric & Favorits (2)
The Skoda Club was a great club, you got a quarterly magazine and also a monthly mag from Czechoslovakia (Czechoslovak Motor Review) All of these got thrown out by my difficult mother when I met my my wife, along with records and my mint Murphy V430, a signed Band on the Run LP too, boy was I furious.
Anyway I certainly enjoyed my motoring with Skoda, entertaining at times but I certainly got loads of followers too.






