16-11-2016, 05:56 PM
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2016, 06:00 PM by Mike Watterson.)
Yes, mobile phones have IMEI as identity, The number is from the SIM. Vodafone gave me a free replacement on my main phone* and transferred the call credit as I was getting nuisance SMS messages. I didn't reset anything.
I also have a £15 "smart watch" which unlike the Apple Watch (which needs an iPhone), works as a notification or handsfree voice via bluetooth (on any phone), but is also a GSM (only!) phone. It's awkward to put call credit into, so I popped the SIM into my "real" phone for that. I use it to receive SMS from certain web service. Fairly rubbish camera, but excellent voice dictation. It ALSO takes a micro SD card!
Using it to record a conversation may be illegal if the other party isn't notified.
The only exception is USA CDMA phones, the number is locked to phone. Unsurprisingly Apple wants to ditch the physical SIM. That would be evil.
(*I have a 3G WiFi dongle which takes SIM and works like a smartphone hotspot, 2 x smartphones and watch phone in use. I do still have a Nokia in a drawer that I used the serial port cable on a server and wrote a program to control / interrogate database via whitelisted SMS numbers (2003), not a safe occupation now as numbers can be spoofed, and indeed a phone base station faked for under $1500 for Man in the Middle Attacks)
I also have a £15 "smart watch" which unlike the Apple Watch (which needs an iPhone), works as a notification or handsfree voice via bluetooth (on any phone), but is also a GSM (only!) phone. It's awkward to put call credit into, so I popped the SIM into my "real" phone for that. I use it to receive SMS from certain web service. Fairly rubbish camera, but excellent voice dictation. It ALSO takes a micro SD card!
Using it to record a conversation may be illegal if the other party isn't notified.
The only exception is USA CDMA phones, the number is locked to phone. Unsurprisingly Apple wants to ditch the physical SIM. That would be evil.
(*I have a 3G WiFi dongle which takes SIM and works like a smartphone hotspot, 2 x smartphones and watch phone in use. I do still have a Nokia in a drawer that I used the serial port cable on a server and wrote a program to control / interrogate database via whitelisted SMS numbers (2003), not a safe occupation now as numbers can be spoofed, and indeed a phone base station faked for under $1500 for Man in the Middle Attacks)







