03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
(03-11-2016, 06:12 PM)Mark Hennessy Wrote: From those that know, any comments about the original transformer? E.g., is it actually intended for push-pull operation?The RS output transformer that the OP used (217-567) should have been ok - however, I think it would be a good idea to measure it's primary inductance with a meter. I also have one of these 217-567 transformers and it's your standard gapped lamination type for single-ended use although it's rather small physically and is only rated at 3.5 W.
The one currently on sale (RS 210-6475 made by OEP) although it's got the same published specification is not made in the same way...
I ordered a number of these a few years ago for making up some simple S-E amplifiers and was very surprised to discover that it had interleaved E & I laminations which would imply it's for push-pull operation. However the data which is shown above and which is still available to download from the RS website still mentions the 40mA primary current max. and 3.5W max. output also implying it's for S-E use with no mention of push-pull.
I was so concerned about this when I first got them that I contacted RS technical helpline but when I raised my concerns to their 'expert' he had no idea what I was talking about....
I mentioned this problem with this transformer on UKVRR forum at the time but was told it didn't matter but I think it does.
Andy







