18-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Yes, I did know all about that once-upon-a-time, qualifying in 1960 with a 2nd class PMG and then in 61 with 1st class. What I should have said was that I found them of no use whatsoever after I went to sea, where amongst my many duties was the servicing of all the transmitters, receivers, radar equipment etc. in the beginning with only an AVO 8 to assist me. Eventually, we had scopes, counters, digital testmeters, capacitance meters etc etc, but by then, I could usually fudge along by instinct and long years of experience. Since leaving, vintage electronics has been a hobby only and I have made point of forgetting all that theory that they tried to ram in me over the years in various courses. My methods were always looked on with suspicion, but as they usually produced results, there was not much they could do about it. Here I am with the main tuning inductor from the emergency transmitter aboard the RMS St. Helena. thirty years or so ago. Re-wound it by hand, and it was quite a job! Just the right sort of fault for someone with "a mind unclouded by fact!"
Bob
Bob







